Ironically, I almost forgot. Almost forgot that tomorrow, April 25, is ANZAC Day in Australia (& New Zealand). Although I guess technically it was today, since it is already tomorrow in Australia.... pesky international date line :). Either way, here's an opportunity for you to learn something new today:
ANZAC Day
In summary, on April 25, 1915 the Australian and New Zealand Army Corp (ANZAC) landed in Gallipoli during World War 1. The battle that ensued was long and bloody. ANZAC day was created in memory of that day of landing, but since WWII has become a day or remembrance for all those who have served. I guess you could say that it is similar to the American "Veteran's Day", if that helps.
For those of you who don't know, I grew up in Sydney, Australia, and have acknowledged ANZAC day ('celebrated' didn't seem like the right term) since I was 10 years old. A day filled with 4am morning services, cricket, two-up and my favorite - ANZAC Biscuits.
I've since made it an annual tradition ever since moving to the USA to bake ANZAC Biscuits to commemorate the day, and while I wait for the biscuits to bake - I thought I'd share with you the most amazing 'cookies' ever!


Fun how a pile of ingredients can yield such a tasty outcome so quickly. I wish you could smell them...
ANZAC Biscuit Recipe:
Ingredients (Makes ~1 dozen) [Which is never enough. I usually triple the quantities below]-
1 cup Regular Oats
1 cup All-purpose Flour
1 cup packed Brown Sugar [I use light brown sugar]
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut [use unsweetened if the cookies turn out too sweet for you]
1/2 teaspoon (fresh) Baking Soda
1/4 cup stick Margarine, melted [I use Crisco Vegetable sticks that are Butter flavored for a Lactard ;) friendly recipe]
3 tablespoons Water
2 tablespoons Golden Cane Syrup [I use 'Karo' Light Corn Syrup]
Cooking Spray
Preheat oven to 325F.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Add margarine, water and syrup; stir well [the dough will appear dry and crumbly, mix by hand to ensure even mixing. Try to resist eating the entire thing* :)] Drop by level tablespoons, 2 inches apart, onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray [do not make into balls on sheet - they will not 'fall' during baking]. Bake at 325F for 12 minutes or until almost set [I had to leave in a little longer with my convection oven]. Remove from oven; let stand for 2-3 minutes or until firm. Remove cookies from baking sheets. Place on wire racks; let cool completely.
*Might I add that this is one of the most amazing cookie/biscuit doughs I've ever eaten. Not to mention there isn't any raw eggs to worry about, unlike my other favorite - sugar cookie dough!
Needless to say, because I ALMOST forgot - I was up late baking. Now to try and sleep with the smell of baked biscuits lingering in the house.... mmmmm.
Lest We Forget.
DBB
- Posted from my iPad
ANZAC Day
In summary, on April 25, 1915 the Australian and New Zealand Army Corp (ANZAC) landed in Gallipoli during World War 1. The battle that ensued was long and bloody. ANZAC day was created in memory of that day of landing, but since WWII has become a day or remembrance for all those who have served. I guess you could say that it is similar to the American "Veteran's Day", if that helps.
For those of you who don't know, I grew up in Sydney, Australia, and have acknowledged ANZAC day ('celebrated' didn't seem like the right term) since I was 10 years old. A day filled with 4am morning services, cricket, two-up and my favorite - ANZAC Biscuits.
I've since made it an annual tradition ever since moving to the USA to bake ANZAC Biscuits to commemorate the day, and while I wait for the biscuits to bake - I thought I'd share with you the most amazing 'cookies' ever!
![]() |
| BEFORE |


Fun how a pile of ingredients can yield such a tasty outcome so quickly. I wish you could smell them...
ANZAC Biscuit Recipe:
Ingredients (Makes ~1 dozen) [Which is never enough. I usually triple the quantities below]-
1 cup Regular Oats
1 cup All-purpose Flour
1 cup packed Brown Sugar [I use light brown sugar]
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut [use unsweetened if the cookies turn out too sweet for you]
1/2 teaspoon (fresh) Baking Soda
1/4 cup stick Margarine, melted [I use Crisco Vegetable sticks that are Butter flavored for a Lactard ;) friendly recipe]
3 tablespoons Water
2 tablespoons Golden Cane Syrup [I use 'Karo' Light Corn Syrup]
Cooking Spray
Preheat oven to 325F.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Add margarine, water and syrup; stir well [the dough will appear dry and crumbly, mix by hand to ensure even mixing. Try to resist eating the entire thing* :)] Drop by level tablespoons, 2 inches apart, onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray [do not make into balls on sheet - they will not 'fall' during baking]. Bake at 325F for 12 minutes or until almost set [I had to leave in a little longer with my convection oven]. Remove from oven; let stand for 2-3 minutes or until firm. Remove cookies from baking sheets. Place on wire racks; let cool completely.
*Might I add that this is one of the most amazing cookie/biscuit doughs I've ever eaten. Not to mention there isn't any raw eggs to worry about, unlike my other favorite - sugar cookie dough!
![]() |
| AFTER |
Lest We Forget.
DBB
- Posted from my iPad



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.