Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Song

I'm high energy and easily distracted. Think of the Dug, the talking dog from the movie "Up" - "Squirrel!". Sitting in one spot and concentrating is hard for me. There's always something else that needs doing. Being insanely busy doesn't help either. So since I've committed myself to a 8-5 desk job I've found over the years that listening to music calms me and helps me focus on a task.

This past year I've further refined my music methods to further distract the squirrel mentality to help my focus. The solution has been to not just listen to music, but listen to the same song on repeat - all day. By doing this it not only tunes out the distractions around me but the music becomes consistent background noise. I found that changing songs was in itself distracting.

As a result I have to pick my song of the day carefully since I will inevitably hear it a bajillion times. Usually the selection ends up being my "Happy Song" of the day/week. My happy song rotates but is usually upbeat, positive and fun. The type of song that regardless of how you're feeling when it comes on the radio makes you smile, tap your feet, and sing along.

Happy songs can apply to anytime, not just work. For example, right now I'm laying on the beach - listening to my happy song of the day and I couldn't be more relaxed.

My plan is to share with you my happy song of choice as it revolves. (My links are usually YouTube videos that are lyrics based to avoid any vulgar videos or viewers comments).

Happy Song (May 28):

Ellie Goulding - "Lights"

(the fact that I'm obsessed with lighting and the song name coincides is just an added bonus ;) )

DBB
- Posted from my iPad
Location:My own world

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.